This moist apple teacake can be an ideal addition to your morning or afternoon tea. You will need around 5 minutes to prepare it, plus 30 minutes to cook. Simple and delicious, this teacake is the best dessert choice for the autumn and winter season, plus it will make your house smell amazing! Here is the recipe:
- 4 apples
- 125 grams’ butter, at room temperature
- 125 grams’ caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 125 grams self-rising flour
- 1 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup flaked almonds (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 160°C/325°F/Gas Mark 3. Grease and line a 20cm/8-inch cake tin. Set aside.
- Next, peel, core and thinly slice the apples.
- Add into a saucepan and pour 1 cup of water. Set over medium heat and bring to a simmer, then turn down the heat and stir continuously just until the apples are softened.
- Remove and drain any excess water. Set aside to cool.
- In the same saucepan, melt the butter (or melt it in a heatproof bowl in the microwave). Let the butter to cool.
- Using an electric mixer, on medium speed, beat the sugar for about 20 seconds. Fold in the eggs, one at a time, and whisk to combine.
- Apply the flour, cinnamon, and vanilla and whisk for 10 to 20 seconds or just until well combined.
- Spread the batter into the prepared cake tin. Top the cake with the apple slices and sprinkle over some flaked almonds (if desired). Sprinkle with some icing sugar. Place in the oven and bake for 20 minutes.
- Then, turn the cake around; increase temperature to 350°F/180°C/Gas mark 4. Cook for an extra 10 minutes.
- Check that the cake is baked by inserting a toothpick (it should come out clean) – the cake should be moist but to overcook!
- Remove and allow to cool for 20 minutes in the cake tin. Then, apply on a serving plate, decorate with some more icing sugar and a few berries (to make it more festive – if desired). Slice and serve.