This Milanese-style osso buco will definitely bring all the flavors and smells of the Mediterranean kitchen. Simple and easy to prepare, you can make this wonderful dish for the weekend and surprise your family or friends with this elegant, delicious meal. Here is the recipe:
- 4 slices veal shank, each 4 cm/1 ½ inches thick
- Flour, for coating
- 3 ½ tablespoons butter
- 125 ml/4 fl oz. white wine
- 400 grams/14 oz. canned tomatoes
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley
- Salt and pepper
- Wash the veal slices and pat dry with kitchen paper. Rub with salt and pepper and coat with flour, shaking off any excess.
- Melt the butter in a deep saucepan and brown the veal slices on both sides. Deglaze the pan with the wine, then reduce. Stir in the tomatoes and season with salt and pepper. Cover the pan and stew the meat over a low heat for at least 1 ½ hours, turning the slices over several times in the tomato sauce as they cook.
- When the meat begins to separate from the bone, it is done. Finely chop the garlic and combine it with the lemon peel and parsley. Sprinkle over the sliced meat just before serving.