Cookies are always a good idea and can bring joy to your home, especially if you have kids. Thanksgiving is the perfect time to be creative, to make beautiful cookies and impress your family and friends. So, skip the store-bought thing and learn how to prepare the best cookie dough.
Thanks to the following, simple cookie recipe, you can turn each ingredient into sensational sweet. You can bake immediately or wrap the dough in a plastic bag and refrigerate until ready to use. Here is the recipe:
For the plain dough:
- 10 oz. (280 grams) all-purpose flour
- 8 oz. (225 grams) butter or margarine, room temperature
- 5 oz. (140 grams) caster sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- A pinch of salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract, or the zest and juice of ½ lemon
Optional extras – for the Thanksgiving:
- 40 grams finely chopped dried fruit
- 40 grams chopped mixed peel
- 40 grams ground or chopped nuts
- 1 ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 50 grams’ grated chocolate
- tiny “mini-mini” marshmallows
- sugar cake decorations
- organic colors (to create pumpkin or turkey decorations)
- In a medium bowl, using an electric mixer, beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Fold in the egg yolk and beat to combine. Then, add the salt and flour, and lemon or vanilla extract.
- And the fun part apply whatever other ingredients you like (choose from the optional extras)!
- Am suggesting you try combinations like orange zest and dark chocolate: cinnamon, nutmeg, date, and pecan; or lemon zest and white chocolate.
- Mix the flour together with the added extras and form a sticky cookie dough.
- Apply the dough onto a floured work surface and roll until you get a non-sticky, thick and nice dough.
- Wrap the cookie dough in Clingfilm and put in the freezer for at least 45 minutes. In the meantime, preheat the oven to 190°C/ 375°F /Gas Mark 6.
- Take out the cookie dough from the freezer. Use a sharp knife to slice it and make your favorite forms. Arrange the cookies on a baking sheet.
- Bake in the oven for about 10-15 minutes, then allow cooling. They are great plain, but you may spread each one with 1 teaspoon of flavored or colored icing.
- Moreover, you can make a turkey or pumpkin decoration and make your cookies festive and even more wonderful.
Enjoy and have fun!