Baking need not be as difficile as they say: and this recipe is a proof for that. Try making this delicious Mediterranean bread and the baking day will be a day of both comfort and self-indulgence. Here is the recipe:
Servings 3 small loaves
- 500 grams/1 lb 2 oz. strong white flour, plus extra for dusting
- 1 sachet easy-blend dried yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- a pinch of sugar
- 300 ml/10 fl oz lukewarm water
- 250 grams/9 oz. Swiss chard, chopped
- 100 grams/3 1.2 oz black olives, stoned and chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus extra for greasing
- Stiff the flour into a bowl and make a hollow in the middle. Place the yeast, salt, and sugar in the hollow, then add the water. Knead the mixture into a smooth, silky dough. Leave it to rise, covered, for about 1 hour, or until doubled in size.
- Preheat the oven to 220°C/425°F/Gas Mark 7 and grease a baking sheet. Knead the Swiss chard and olives into the dough, then divide it into thirds.
- From each third into a rounded rectangular loaf and place on the greased baking sheet. Cover with a flour-dusted tea towel and leave to rise again for 1 hour.
- Brush the loaves with oil and bake in the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes. Leave to cool thoroughly on a wire rack. Slice and serve.