This heavenly angel food cake is so simple, easy, and very delicious! You can fill it and get an amazing holiday dessert or weekend treat. Plus, it is ideal for breakfast and goes wonderfully with a cup of fruit tea of coffee. Here is the recipe:
For the angel food cake:
- 1 ¼ cups cake flour
- A pinch of salt
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 1 ½ cups egg whites
- 1/2 tablespoon cream of tartar
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the frosting:
- 250 ml (1 cup) heavy cream
- ¼ cup desiccated coconut
- In a medium bowl, using an electric mixer, beat the egg whites until creamy, then add the almond extract, vanilla extract, and cream of tartar. Beat all over again.
- In another bowl, sift together flour, salt, and sugar. Repeat five times. Then, add the dry ingredients to the egg white mixture and combine. Transfer to an ungreased 10-in. tube pan.
- Put the cake pan in a cold oven and then turn the oven on (set it at 325°F/160°C/Gas Mark 3. Cook for about 50-60 minutes, or until cake is golden brown.
- Remove and invert the cake; allow to cool in the baking pan. When completely cooled, remove from pan.
- While cooling, prepare the frosting. Using an electric mixer, beat the heavy cream until thick and creamy. Add the desiccated coconut and combine with a spatula. Spread over the cooled cake. Slice and serve.