This is a basic recipe for making French toast at home. There are numerous variations but this one is the simplest and easiest way to prepare this delicious breakfast treat.
The recipe works with all types of bread – whole wheat, white, cinnamon-raisin, French or Italian. It will take you just 5 minutes to prepare it plus around 15 to cook. Serve hot with margarine or butter and maple syrup. Here is the recipe:
- 6 thick slices bread
- 2/3 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- A pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg (optional)
- Fruit of your choice, to serve (optional)
- In a bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, salt, vanilla, cinnamon, and nutmeg (if desired).
- Next, heat a lightly oiled skillet or griddle over medium-high heat.
- Dip each slice of bread in the mix, soaking both sided. Apply in the pan, cook on both sides until light golden brown. Serve warm with some fruit (if desired).