Wild Mushroom Crostini: Traditional Italian Recipe
- 15 g/ ½ oz. dried porcini mushrooms
- 125 g/4 oz./1 ¼ cups assorted wild mushrooms
- 125 g/4 oz./ ¼ cups button/white mushrooms
- 3 tbsps. olive oil
- 2 shallots, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2-3 garlic cloves, peeled and ·sliced
- 1 small yellow pepper, deseeded and thinly sliced
- 125 g/4 oz. baby plum tomatoes, halved
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 ciabatta loaf, cut into 8 slices
- 25 g/1 oz. rocket/arugula or watercress
- basil-flavoured oil, for drizzling
Soak the dried mushrooms in enough warm water to cover, for 20 minutes, then drain. Chop the rehydrated mushrooms. Wipe the button/white mushrooms and slice.
Preheat the grill/broiler or griddle pan. Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan, add the shallots and garlic and fry for 2 minutes. Add all the mushrooms together with the pepper, tomatoes and seasoning to taste. Continue to cook over a gentle heat for 5-8 minutes until tender.
Meanwhile, toast the bread under the grill or cook in a heated griddle pan which has been lightly brushed with oil.
Place the rocket/arugula or watercress on the toasted bread, then spoon the mushrooms on top, drizzle with a little basil-flavoured oil and serve.
If you liked our article, please like our Facebook Page.