These triple chocolate eclairs are the perfect dessert for everyone who adores eclairs just like I do. I often experiment with éclair recipes and this one is ideal – easy to make, chocolaty, creamy…simply delicious!
For the eclairs:
- 3/4 cup flour
- 3/4 cup water, boiling
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into cubes
- 1 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs, room temperature
For the chocolate whipped cream:
- 1 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 3 tablespoon powdered sugar
For the chocolate ganache:
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream
- 2 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
To make the eclairs:
- Preheat oven to 425°F/220°C/Gas Mark 7. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a saucepan, combine together water, sugar, butter, and salt to boil. Remove from heat and stir in flour. Return to heat and combine for 1-2 minutes until the dough gets smooth and forms a ball. Put the dough into a stand mixer and leave it to rest for 5 minutes.
- Add in vanilla extract(if using). Beat in eggs, one at a time, with the mixture becoming glossy and smooth in between additions.
- Spoon dough into a plastic bag, or a pastry bag with the corner cut out. Pipe into 1-inch, by 4-inch strips.
- Bake at 425°F/220°C/Gas Mark 7 for 5 minutes and reduce oven to 350°F/180°C/Gas Mark 4, continuing to bake for 30 minutes. Turn off the oven, and let the shells rest for 15 minutes before removing.
To make the chocolate whipped cream:
- In an electric mixer, fitted with a whisk attachment, mix all ingredients and whip on medium speed until light and fluffy. Don’t over mix.
- Place into a piping bag with a star tip for a decorative design, or into a plastic bag with the corner cut out in order to make piping easier.
To make the chocolate ganache:
- In a microwave safe bowl, heat heavy cream and chocolate on high for 25 seconds. Stir together until chocolate is melted completely. Repeat in 10-second intervals if necessary.
- Cut the eclairs in half very gently, in order to make a top and a bottom. Dip the top of the top half into the chocolate ganache, and leave it to rest chocolate side up.
- Fill the bottom half with chocolate whipped cream. Top with chocolate-dipped Then repeat. Serve.