This tomato tart is so easy to prepare and so delicious! One of the favorite Italian recipe that I usually make on Sundays as a breakfast. When it’s baking, the whole house is smelling so good and my husband cannot wait to remove it from the oven and set it on the table. Siamo pronti!
For the pastry:
- 250 grams/9 oz. plain flour
- A pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon chopped tomatoes
- 140 grams/ 5 oz. butter
- 5-6 tablespoons cold water
For the filling:
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon caster sugar
- 500 grams/ 1 lb 2 oz. cherry tomatoes halved
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 2 teaspoons white wine vinegar
- 8 oz. cheese
- Salt and pepper
- Chopped fresh oregano, to garnish
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas Mark 6. Melt the butter in a heavy-based saucepan. Add the sugar and stir over a fairly high heat until just golden brown.
- Remove from the heat and quickly apply the garlic, vinegar, cheese and tomatoes, stirring to coat evenly. Season with salt and pepper.
- Tip the tomatoes into a 23-cm/9-inch round cake tin, spreading evenly.
- For the pastry, place the flour, tomatoes, and butter in a food processor and process to fine crumbs. Add just enough water to bind to a soft, but not sticky, dough.
- Roll out to a 25-cm/10-inch round and place over the tomatoes, tucking in the edges. Pierce with a fork to release the steam.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 25-30 minutes, until firm and golden. Leave to rest for 2-3 minutes, then run a knife around the edge and turn out onto a warmed plate. Garnish with oregano and serve.