For the sweet pastry/pie dough:
- 175 g/6 oz./1 1/3 cups plain/all-purpose flour
- 50 g/2 oz./4 tbsp. butter
- 50 g/2 oz./ ¼ cup white vegetable fat/shortening
- 2 tsp caster/superfine sugar
- 1 medium/large egg yolk. beaten
For the filling:
- 1 medium/large egg, plus 1 extra egg yolk
- 50 g/2 oz./ ¼ cup caster/superfine sugar
- 25 g/1 oz./3 heaping tbsp. plain/all-purpose flour
- 300 ml/ ½ pint/1 ¼ cups milk
- few drops vanilla extract
- 450 g/1 lb/3 heaping cups cleaned and hulled strawberries
- mint leaves. to decorate
Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas Mark 6, 15 minutes before baking. Place the flour. butter and vegetable fat/shortening in a food processor and blend until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Stir in the sugar. then. with the machine running. add the egg yolk and enough water to make a fairly stiff dough. Knead lightly. cover and chill for 30 minutes. Roll out the pastry/ pie dough and use to line a 23 cm/9 inch. loose-bottomed flan tin/tart pan. Place a piece of greaseproof/wax paper in the pastry case/pie crust and cover with baking beans/pie weights or rice. Bake for 15-20 minutes until just firm. Reserve until cool.
Make the filling by whisking the eggs and sugar together until thick and pale. Gradually stir in the flour and then the milk. Pour into a small saucepan and simmer for 3-4 minutes. stirring throughout. Add the vanilla extract to taste. then pour into a bowl and leave to cool. Cover with greaseproof paper to prevent a skin from forming.
When the filling is cold, whisk until smooth, then pour onto the cooked flan case. Slice the strawberries and arrange on top of the filling. Allow to set. Decorate with the mint leaves and serve.
If you liked our article, please like our Facebook Page.