These spinach cannelloni are traditional Italian recipe that is very delicious, good looking, and easy to prepare. Plus, is amazingly healthy and can be an ideal Sunday lunch for your family. Here is the recipe:
- 600 grams/ 1 lb 5 oz. spinach
- 1 ½ tablespoon butter, plus extra for greasing
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 200 grams/7 oz. ricotta cheese
- 12 no-precook cannelloni tubes
- 600 ml/ 1-pint ready-prepared béchamel sauce
- 55 grams/ 2oz. grated Parmesan cheese
- Grated nutmeg
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas Mark 6, and grease a baking dish. Wash the spinach thoroughly and remove any wilted leaves and coarse stems. Heat the butter in a saucepan, add the onion and saute until translucent.
- Add the spinach while still dripping wet, cover the pan and allow the leaves to wilt. Drain the spinach well in a sieve, then chop it. Combine the spinach and ricotta cheese, then season with salt and pepper and nutmeg. Transfer the spinach mixture to a piping bag with a large nozzle and use it to fill the cannelloni tubes.
- Lay the filled cannelloni side by side in the baking dish, cover with the béchamel sauce and sprinkle with the cheese. Bake in the preheated oven for 25-30 minutes.