Spaghetti with meatballs or spaghetti con le polpette is a traditional Italian dish. It can be an ideal lunch for any season. It is easy to prepare and very delicious! Here is the recipe:
- 1 potato, diced
- 400 grams/14 oz. beef mince
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 egg
- 4 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Plain flour, for dusting
- 5 tablespoons virgin olive oil
- 400 ml/14 fl. oz. passata
- 2 tablespoons tomato puree
- 400 grams/14 oz. dried spaghetti
- Salt and pepper
- 6 shredded fresh basil leaves
- Freshly grated Parmesan cheese, to garnish
- Place the potato in a small saucepan, add cold water to cover and a pinch of salt, and bring to the boil. Cook for 10-15 minutes, until tender, then drain. Either mash thoroughly with a potato masher or fork or pass through a potato ricer.
- Combine the potato, mince, onion, egg, and parsley in a bowl and season to taste with salt and pepper. Spread out the flour on a plate. With dampened hands, shape the meat mixture into walnut-sized balls and roll in the flour. Shake off any excess.
- Heat the oil in a heavy-based frying pan, add the meatballs, and cook over a medium heat, stirring and turning frequently, for 8-10 minutes, until golden all over. Add the passata and tomato puree and cook for a further 10 minutes, until the sauce is reduced and thickened. Meanwhile, bring a large saucepan of lightly salted water to the boil. Add the pasta, bring back to the boil and cook for 8-10 minutes, until tender but still firm to the bite.
- Drain well and add to the meatball sauce, tossing well to coat. Transfer to a warmed serving dish, garnish with the basil leaves and grated Parmesan cheese and serve immediately.