Rocket & Potato Soup with Garlic Croutons
- 14–18 baby new potatoes
- 25 liters/2 ¼ pints/5 ¼ cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 50 g/2 oz. /2 cups rocket/arugula leaves
- 4 thick slices sliced white bread
- 50 g/2 oz. /4 tbsps. unsalted butter
- 1 tsp groundnut/peanut oil
- 2-4 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
- 1 stale ciabatta loaf, crusts removed
- 4 tbsps. olive oil
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbsps. finely grated Parmesan cheese
Place the potatoes in a large saucepan, cover with the stock and simmer gently for 10 minutes. Add the rocket/arugula leaves and simmer for a further 5-10 minutes until the potatoes are soft and the rocket has wilted.
Meanwhile, make the croutons. Cut the thick, white sliced bread into small cubes and reserve. Heat the butter and groundnut/peanut oil in a small frying pan and cook the garlic for 1 minute, stirring well.
Remove the garlic. Add the bread cubes to the butter and oil mixture in the frying pan and saute, stirring constantly, until they are golden brown. Drain the croutons on absorbent paper towels and reserve.
Cut the ciabatta bread into small cubes and stir into the soup. Cover the saucepan and leave to stand for 10 minutes or until the bread has absorbed a lot of the liquid.
Stir in the olive oil, season to taste with salt and pepper and ladle into individual bowls with a few of the garlic croutons scattered over the top and a little grated Parmesan cheese.
If you liked our article, please like our Facebook Page.