Roasted Cod with Saffron AÏoli
For the saffron aÏoli:
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- ¼ tsp saffron strands
- sea salt, to taste
- 1 egg yolk
- 200 ml/7 fl oz./ ¾ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp. lemon juice
For the marinade:
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 red onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 tbsp. freshly chopped rosemary
- 2 tbsp. freshly chopped thyme
- 4-6 fresh rosemary sprigs
- 1 lemon. sliced
- 4 thick cod fillets with skin. 175 g/6 oz. each
- freshly cooked vegetables. to serve
Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4, 10 minutes before cooking. Crush the garlic. saffron and a pinch of salt in a pestle and mortar to form a paste. Place in a blender with the egg yolk and blend for 30 seconds. With the motor running. slowly add the olive oil in a thin. steady stream until the mayonnaise is smooth and thick. Spoon into a small bowl and stir in the lemon juice. Cover and leave in the refrigerator until required. Combine the olive oil. garlic. red onion. rosemary and thyme for the marinade and leave to infuse for about 10 minutes.
Place the rosemary and lemon in the bottom of a lightly oiled roasting tin/pan. Add the cod, skin-side up. Pour over the marinade and leave to marinate in the refrigerator for 15-20 minutes. Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes until the cod is cooked and the flesh flakes easily with a fork. Leave the cod to rest for 1 minute before serving with the saffron aÏoli and vegetables.
If you liked our article, please like our Facebook Page.