This quick vanilla cream pie is so creamy and delicious! It is very easy to prepare! It will take you no more than 25 minutes to make this dessert and surprise your loved ones. Here is the recipe:
- 5 eggs, divided
- A pinch of salt
- 6 oz./ 300 grams/ 1 ½ cups sugar
- 5 oz./100 grams corn starch
- 1 to 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- zest of ½ lemon, finely grated
- 8 fl oz./ 1 liter/ 1 ¼ cups whole milk
- 7 oz. /200 grams butter
- 2 sheets of puff pastry, around 15×10 inches/40×24 cm (a little bit more or less is fine)
- Separate the egg yolks from the egg whites. Whisk the egg whites with a pinch of salt until stiff. Gradually, put the sugar and carry on whipping until the egg whites are creamy and glossy.
- Apply the egg yolks, 1 at a time, combining each yolk prudently and slowly. Put the vanilla extract, corn starch, and lemon zest and mix with the help of a spatula.
- Meanwhile, heat the milk. You can do that in a milk jug, it’ll be easier for you to pour the milk over the egg mix. Or apply the milk into a jug after warming it.
- Gently pour the milk over the egg mix.
- Transfer the egg-milk mix back to the pan/jug where the milk was heated. Put on a low heat and, while whisking constantly – bring it to a simmer. You should get a consistency of pudding.
- Remove from the heat and put the cubed butter, one or two little pieces at a time, while whipping continuously to help the incorporate and melt in the pudding. Set aside to cool (the cream need to be lukewarm when you spread over the pastry).
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 430°F/220°C. According to the instructions of the package, bake the pastry sheets 1 after another until golden brown. Leave to cool completely.
- Apply 1 pastry sheet on a serving dish and spread the vanilla cream evenly. Apply the 2nd pastry sheet on top; press lightly.
- Put in the fridge for 1 or 2 hours. Before serving, sprinkle with icing sugar. Slice and enjoy!
Note: The vanilla cream pie is ideally served on the day it’s made, that way the pastry will still be crunchy. However, it’s still tasty the next day – but the pastry will become quite soggy.