This pineapple buttercream frosting is so thick, creamy, and very delicious! It can be a fun part of many special occasions, like birthdays, anniversaries, and other parties. Last weekend, I decorated simple cupcakes with this frosting for my niece’s birthday party and all the kids were delighted. It gave a unique taste to the cupcakes. Here is the recipe:
Servings 24 cupcakes/a double layer cake
- 8 ounce (1 can) crushed pineapple, undrained
- 2 cups butter, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- A pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon meringue powder
- 2-4 cups confectioners’ sugar
- A few drops of organic yellow food color (optional)
- In a blender or food processor, apply the whole can of pineapple along with its juice and process until finely pureed. Then, place the puree in a saucepan and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Decrease heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally, till the mix is reduced to around 1/3 of a cup. Leave aside to cool completely.
- In the meantime, using an electric mixer, beat the butter until smooth. Put the vanilla and salt and continue to whisk until combined.
- Next, put meringue powder and 2 cups of confectioner’s sugar, whisk on medium-low speed. Gradually put the remaining sugar, one cup at a time; beat for 3-5 minutes or until smooth. You might need more or less sugar depending on the softness of the butter. Whisk on medium-high speed until light and fluffy. Then, apply the pineapple puree and whisk until well combined.
Note: The pineapple buttercream frosting can be prepared ahead and stored in the fridge. Before use, let stand at room temperature for a few minutes to soften.