Pheasant with Portobello Mushrooms & Red Wine Gravy
- 25 g/1 oz./2 tbsp. butter
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 small pheasants (preferably hens)/game hens. rinsed, well dried and halved
- 8 shallots. peeled
- 300 g/11 oz./2 ¾ cups thickly sliced Portobello/large mushrooms 2-3 fresh thyme or rosemary sprigs. leaves stripped
- 300 ml/ ½ pint/1 ¼ cups Valpolicella. or fruity red wine
- 300 ml/ ½ pint/1 ¼ cups chicken stock, heated
- 1 tbsp. cornflour/cornstarch
- 2 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp. redcurrant jelly, or to taste
- 2 tbsp. freshly chopped flat-leaf parsley
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- fresh thyme sprigs. to garnish
Preheat the oven to 180°C/3SO°F/Gas Mark 4. Heat the butter and oil in a large saucepan or frying pan. Add the pheasant/hen halves and shallots. working in batches if necessary. and cook for 10 minutes. or until golden on all sides. shaking the pan to glaze the shallots. Transfer to a casserole dish large enough to hold the pieces in a single layer.
Add the mushrooms and thyme to the pan. Cook for 2-3 minutes until beginning to color. Transfer to the dish with the pheasant halves.
Add the wine to the saucepan. Cook. stirring up any browned bits from the pan. and allow reducing by half. Pour in the stock. bring to the boil. then pour over the pheasant halves. Cover and braise in the preheated oven for 50 minutes. or until tender.
Remove the pheasant halves and vegetables to a wide. shallow serving dish. Set the casserole dish over a medium-high heat.
Skim off any surface fat and bring to the boil. Blend the cornflour/cornstarch with the vinegar. Stir into the sauce with the redcurrant jelly. Boil until the sauce is reduced and thickened slightly. Stir in the parsley. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Pour over the pheasant halves. garnish with fresh thyme sprigs and serve immediately.
If you liked our article, please like our Facebook Page.