Penne with Vodka & Caviar
- 400 g/14 oz./3 ½ cups penne
- 2 5 g/1 oz./2 tbsp. butter
- 4-6 spring onions/scallions. trimmed and thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove. peeled and finely chopped
- 125 ml/4 fl oz./ ½ cup vodka
- 200 ml/7 fl oz./ ¾ cup double/heavy cream
- 1-2 ripe plum tomatoes, skinned. deseeded and chopped
- 75 g/3 oz. caviar
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
Bring a large pan of lightly salted water to a rolling boil. Add the penne and cook according to the packet instructions. or until a/ dente. Drain thoroughly and reserve.
Heat the butter in a large frying pan or wok. add the spring onions/scallions and stir-fry for 1 minute. Stir in the garlic and cook for a further 1 minute. Pour the vodka into the pan: it will bubble and steam. Cook until the vodka is reduced by about half. then add the double/heavy cream and return to the boil. Simmer gently for 2-3 minutes until the sauce has thickened slightly.
Stir in the tomatoes. then stir in all but 1 tablespoon of the caviar and season to taste with salt and pepper. Add the penne and toss lightly to coat. Cook for 1 minute. or until heated through. Divide the mixture among four warmed pasta bowls and garnish with the reserved caviar. Serve immediately.
If you liked our article, please like our Facebook Page.