This penne with artichokes, bacon, and mushrooms can be your ideal breakfast or even lunch. You can surprise your family or friends with this nice and quick meal with for the weekend – they will adore it! Here is the recipe:
- 2 tbsps. olive oil
- 75 g/3 oz. / ¼ cup chopped smoked bacon or pancetta
- 1 small onion, peeled and finely sliced
- 125 g/4 oz. /1 1/3 cups wiped and sliced chestnut mushrooms
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
- 400 g/14 oz. canned artichoke hearts, drained and halved or quartered if large
- 100 ml/3 ½ fl oz. /7 tbsps. dry white wine
- 100 ml/3 ½ fl oz. /7 tbsps. chicken stock
- 3 tbsps. double/heavy cream
- 50 g/2 oz. / ½ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese, plus extra to serve
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 450 g/1 lb./4 cups penne
- shredded basil leaves, to garnish
- Heat the olive oil in a frying pan and add the bacon or pancetta and the onion. Cook over a medium heat for 8-10 minutes until the bacon is crisp and the onion is just golden.
- Add the mushrooms and garlic and cook for a further 5 minutes or until softened. Add the artichoke hearts to the mushroom mixture and cook for 3-4 minutes. Pour in the wine, bring to a the· boil, then simmer rapidly until the liquid is reduced and syrupy.
- Pour in the chicken stock, bring to the boil, then simmer rapidly for about 5 minutes until slightly reduced. Reduce the heat slightly, and then slowly stir in the double/heavy cream and Parmesan cheese. Season the sauce to taste with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pan of lightly salted water to a rolling boil. Add the pasta and cook according to the packet instructions or until al dente. Drain the pasta thoroughly and transfer to a large, warmed serving dish. Pour over the sauce and toss together. Garnish with shredded basil and serve with extra Parmesan.