These pecan-bourbon crunch Italian cream cups are so fluffy and delicious! You can prepare them for many occasions – holidays and different kind of parties! They are ideal weekend treats that I often prepare for my family and friends. The taste of vanilla combined with pecan is amazing!
For the cake:
- 4 eggs
- ½ cup water
- 4 ½ teaspoons bourbon or apple cider
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 ¼ cups cake flour
- 1 ½ cups granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 bag (5 oz.) glazed pecans, finely chopped
- 15 tablespoons butter or margarine, slightly softened
- 1 package (8 oz.) cream cheese, softened
For the frosting:
- 9 tablespoons butter or margarine, slightly softened
- 2 tablespoons bourbon or apple cider
- ½ teaspoon finely grated lemon peel
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 4 ½ cups powdered sugar
- ¾ cup flaked coconut
- Heat oven to 350°F/ 180°C/ Gas Mark 4. Place paper baking cup in each of 20 regular-size muffin cups.
- In 2-cup glass measure, mix eggs, water, 4 1/2 teaspoons bourbon and the vanilla with wire whisk. In a medium bowl, mix flour, granulated sugar, and baking powder.
- Remove 1 tablespoon of the flour mixture to small bowl; add 3/4 cup of the glazed pecans and toss to coat. Set aside. Reserve remaining glazed pecans for frosting.
- Cut butter into tablespoon-size pieces. Cut 3 tablespoons of the cream cheese into cubes; reserve remaining cream cheese for the frosting. Add butter pieces and cream cheese cubes, a few at a time, to flour mixture in medium bowl, beating with electric mixer on low speed.
- Pour in all but 1/2 cup of the egg mixture. Beat on low for 30 seconds, then medium for 30 seconds, scraping bowl occasionally. Add remaining egg mixture in a slow stream; beat 30 seconds longer. Stir in reserved pecan mixture.
- Spoon into muffin cups. Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until tops spring back when lightly touched.
- Cool 5 minutes; remove from pans to cooling racks. Cool completely, about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, beat 9 tablespoons butter, 2 tablespoons bourbon, the lemon peel, salt and reserved cream cheese with electric mixer on low speed until smooth. Gradually beat in powdered sugar, 1 cup at a time, on low speed until smooth. Stir in 1/2 cup of the reserved glazed pecans and the coconut.
- Pipe or spread frosting on top of each cupcake; sprinkle with remaining glazed pecans. Serve.
Recommended Article: Health Benefits of Pecans: Take a Pecan, not a Pill!
If you liked our article, please like our Facebook Page.