Pesche Dolci are traditional Italian cookies that are usually prepared for various family gatherings, anniversaries, birthdays, and other occasions. I adore this beautiful cookie! I love when I can decorate the food because am really interested in art and paintings – and these peach cookies are the perfect combination of both – food and art.
Pesche Dolci Recipe
Servings 17 sandwiched cookies (34 singles)
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 10 1/2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup packed light-brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
Filling and Coating:
- 6 tablespoons milk, divided
- peach jam or preserves
- yellow and red food coloring
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- you’ll also need a clean paintbrush
- fresh mint leaves, for garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 190°C/ 375°F/ Gas Mark 5. In a mixing bowl, whip together flour, salt, and baking Leave aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together butter, granulated sugar and light-brown sugar on medium-low speed until well blended, about 1 minute.
- Add in egg, sour cream, vanilla, and mix until incorporated. With an electric mixer on low speed, slowly add in dry ingredients and mix just until combined.
- Next, scoop dough out a tablespoon and with buttered hands make a ball.
- Apply the dough balls on baking
- Place in the oven and bake around 15 minutes (or until you get lightly golden brown bottoms). Transfer cookies to a wire rack to cool.
- Let cookies to cool down completely. After that, spread around one teaspoon of jam across the bottom of one cookie then smoothly press another cookie over the jam layer to sandwich them together. Repeat this process with remaining cookies.
- To garnish cookies, put 3 tablespoons of milk into 2 little bowls. In the first bowl, pour in a few drops of red food coloring and stir until you get a vibrant pink, Tint one bowl of milk with red food coloring until it reaches a vibrant pink. In the second bowl of milk, add a few drops of yellow food coloring and stir until you get a vibrant yellow.
- Using a paint brush, dip into the yellow milk mix and paint casually across both cookies leaving unpainted areas.
- Next, dip your paintbrush into red milk mix and paint casually across the cookies, covering the unpainted areas.
- Right after painting each cookie, dip it and coat it completely with sugar. Put 1-2 fresh mint leaves into the side of every cookie (if desired). Store in an airtight container.