Pasta with Walnut Sauce
Photo Credit: redcookbook.net
- 50 g/2 oz. / ½ cup walnuts, toasted
- 3 spring onions/scallions, trimmed and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and sliced
- 1 tbsp. freshly chopped parsley or basil
- 5 tbsps. extra virgin olive oil
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 450 g/1 lb broccoli, cut into florets
- 350 g/12 oz. /3 cups pasta shapes
- 1 red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
Place the toasted walnuts in a blender or food processor with the chopped spring onions/scallions, one of the garlic cloves and the parsley or basil. Blend to a fairly smooth paste, then gradually add 3 tablespoons of the olive oil, until it is well mixed into the paste. Season the walnut paste to taste with salt and pepper and reserve.
Bring a large pan of lightly salted water to a rolling boil. Add the broccoli, return to the boil and cook for 2 minutes. Remove the broccoli using a slotted draining spoon and refresh under cold running water. Drain again and pat dry on absorbent paper towels.
Bring the water back to a rolling boil. Add the pasta and cook according to the packet instructions or until al dente.
Meanwhile, heat the remaining oil in a frying pan. Add the remaining garlic and the chilli. Cook gently for 2 minutes or until softened. Add the broccoli and the walnut paste. Cook for a further 3-4 minutes until heated through.
Drain the pasta thoroughly and transfer to a large warmed serving bowl. Pour over the walnut and broccoli sauce. Toss together, adjust the seasoning and serve immediately.