This Parmesan polenta is a classic Italian meal that is ideal for breakfast or dinner, especially accompanied with stuffed mushrooms, fresh tomatoes or Greek yogurt. Here is the recipe:
- oil, for greasing
- 200 grams/ 7 oz. fine polenta
- 200 grams/ 7 oz. flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons celery salt
- 85 grams/3 oz. grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 400 ml/ 14 fl oz. milk
- 55 grams/ 2 oz. butter, melted
- 1 bunch spring onions, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/375°F/Gas mark 5. Grease a 23-cm/9-inch square baking tin.
- Sift the polenta, flour, baking powder, celery salt, and a pinch of pepper into a bowl and stir in 55 grams/ 2 oz. of the cheese.
- Beat together the eggs, milk and melted butter. Add the egg mixture to the dry ingredients and stir well to mix evenly.
- Stir in the chopped spring onions and spread the mixture evenly into the prepared tin.
- Sprinkle the remaining cheese over the mixture. Bake in the preheated oven for 30-35 minutes, or until firm and golden. Cut into squares, sprinkle some more parmesan cheese, and serve warm (with fresh tomatoes, stuffed mushrooms, or Greek yogurt).