This Italian olive oil cake with fruit is so rich, moist and easy to prepare! An ideal spring-summer cake when you can use your favorite fruits to make it. Quick and very delicious – here is the recipe:
For the cake:
- 1 cup (250 ml/ 8 fl. oz.) extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for greasing
- 2 cups (315 grams/ 10 oz.) all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1 cup (250 grams/ 8 oz.) granulated sugar
- 1 cup (220 grams/ 7 oz.) light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- A pinch of salt
- 1 cup (250 ml/ 8 fl. oz.) milk
- 3 eggs
- zest of 1 lemon, finely grated
- 1/2 cup (60 grams/ 2 oz.) fresh raspberries*
- 1/2 cup (60 grams/ 2 oz.) fresh blackberries*
- 1/2 cup (60 grams/ 2 oz.) fresh blueberries*
- 1 nectarine (peeled, pitted, sliced) – optional
- Confectioners’ sugar, for dusting
- Preheat an oven to 350°F/180°C/Gas Mark 4. Grease a 23-cm (9-inch) round cake pan and line the bottom with parchment paper; grease the parchment and set aside.
- In a bowl, combine together the flour, the baking powder, both sugars, and a pinch of salt; set aside.
- Using an electric mixer, beat together the eggs, olive oil, milk, and lemon zest until combined. Then, add in the flour mixture and whisk until incorporated. Fold in the berries with a rubber spatula.
- Spread the batter into the prepared pan. Place in the oven and bake around 1 hour, or until a toothpick inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean.
- Remove the pan to a wire rack; let cool for 10 minutes. Next, invert onto the rack and allow cool completely.
- Before serving, dust with confectioners’ sugar. Garnish with the nectarine slices and berries. Slice and serve.
*Note: You can use other fruits of your choice.