This Nutella cream cheese buttercream is absolutely delicious on cakes and cupcakes of all flavors. It’s also stiff enough to be piped. Also delicious spread on biscuits! Decorate with chopped hazelnuts or whatever you desire.
- 1 cup (2 sticks or 226 grams) unsalted butter, softened (or 1 stick salted & 1 stick unsalted)
- 4 ounces (½ 8-ounce package/113 grams) cream cheese, such as Philadelphia, chilled from the fridge
- ½ cup (148 grams) Nutella hazelnut spread
- 2 teaspoons (10 ml) pure vanilla extract
- 4 tablespoons (30 grams) sifted organic dark cocoa (or your favorite one)
- 3½ to 4 cups (420 to 480 grams) confectioners’ sugar, spooned in cup, leveled off & sifted
- Using an electric stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment, or handheld mixer and a large bowl, beat butter on medium speed until creamy.
- Add cream cheese, Nutella, and vanilla; beat until fully incorporated.
- Gradually increase mixer speed to high and continue beating until light and fluffy, scraping down the sides of bowl as necessary with rubber spatula.
- Gradually add cocoa and 3½ cups confectioners’ sugar, beating on low speed (stir), until well combined.
- Add additional confectioners’ sugar until desired consistency for spreading and level of sweetness is reached.
- Beat on high speed until well combined and smooth while scraping down sides of bowl as necessary, about 1 to 2 minutes.
- Before frosting cake layers, re-beat buttercream to ensure smoothness.
If not using immediately, the buttercream can be refrigerated for up to 2 to 3 days in an airtight container. Before using, bring to room temperature before beating smooth again.
If using the buttercream to pipe details, be sure to use chilled hands when handling pastry bag as warm hands can melt the buttercream.
To make 1½ recipes of Chocolate Nutella Cream Cheese Buttercream, the math has been completed for you below:
- 1½ cups (3 sticks or 339 grams) unsalted butter, softened (or part salted & part unsalted)
- 6 ounces (¾ 8-ounce package/170 grams) cream cheese, such as Philadelphia, softened
- ¾ cup (222 grams) Nutella hazelnut spread
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) pure vanilla extract
- 6 tablespoons (45 grams) sifted organic, unsweetened cocoa (or your favorite one)
- 5¼ – 6 cups (630 to 720 grams) confectioners’ sugar, spooned in cup, leveled off & sifted
If you liked our article, please like our Facebook Page.