I love croissants and coffee early in the morning! But, if you want to make classic French croissants at home – you will need time, good cooking skills, and patience. Thanks to store-bought puff pastry, you really can make flaky, mini chocolate croissants without the extra time and fuss.
These croissants are so easy to make! The puff pastry sheet needs to be thawed before using. Therefore, either place into the refrigerator and leave overnight or remove and thaw at room temperature for 40 to 50 minutes. Once the puff pastry has thawed, all you need is 30 minutes to make the croissants. Leave them plain, add chocolate or another favorite filling. These are little croissants, so when making, assume each person will eat 2-3.
Makes 15-16 mini croissants
- 1/2 of a 3-ounce package puff pastry sheets (1 sheet), thawed
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2/3 cup (around 115 grams) semi-sweet chocolate chips or small chocolate chunks
- Powdered sugar, for dusting (optional)
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F (177 degrees C). Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or non-stick baking mat.
- Beat the egg and water in a small bowl with a fork or whisk then set aside.
- Lightly flour your work surface. Unfold the pastry sheet then lightly dust top with flour. Use a rolling pin to roll the sheet into a 16-inch square.
- Cut pastry square in half then cut each half into four rectangles (making eight, 8-inch by 4-inch rectangles).
- Now, cut each rectangle diagonally into two triangles (making 16 triangles).
- Place about 2 teaspoons of the chocolate chips down the center of each triangle. Then, starting at the wider end, roll each triangle up.
- Place each croissant seam-side down so that the tip of the triangle is tucked under the rolled croissant. Then, bend in the edges, creating a crescent shape.
- Lightly brush tops of croissants with egg wash.
- Bake 20- 25 minutes or until they are golden brown. You can sprinkle with some powdered sugar before serving.
Note: Nuts, jam, marmalade, ham, cooked sausage, cheese or a combination of ingredients can be substituted for the chocolate.
If you liked our article, please like our Facebook Page.