This Limoncello gelato is so refreshing, creamy, and delicious! It is a simple Italian recipe with a unique Limoncello liqueur taste and amazing texture. Here is the recipe:
Servings around 4 cups
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/4 cup mascarpone cheese*
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1/4 cup Limoncello liqueur, plus additional for serving
- In a saucepan, combine the heavy cream, milk, buttermilk, mascarpone, vanilla extract, and lemon zest. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally until bubbles form at edges. Remove, cover, and allow steep for 15 minutes.
- Using an electric mixer, in a large bowl, beat sugar, egg yolks, and lemon juice until thick and smooth. Carefully apply warm cream mix into yolk mix and combine with a spoon. Return custard to same saucepan. Apply over medium heat until you get a nice, thick mixture (thermometer should register 180°F), around 6 minutes (don’t boil).
- Pour the mixture into medium bowl. Add in 1/4 cup Limoncello. Place in the freezer and chill until cold, stirring at every 1 hour (for 4 hours – 4 times). Can be made one day ahead.
- Then, process it in ice cream maker, according to directions. Next, transfer to container and cover; freeze up to two days.
- Before serving, drizzle with additional Limoncello.
- Serve in glasses/cup and decorate with lemon or lime slices (if desired).