- 2 iceberg lettuces, quartered and with hard core removed
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 50 g/2 oz. /4 tbsps. butter
- 125 g/ ½ cup trimmed and chopped spring onions/scallions
- 1 tbsp. freshly chopped parsley
- 1 tbsp. plain/all-purpose flour
- 600 ml/1 pint/2 ½ cups chicken stock
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 150 ml/ ¼ pint/ 2/3 cup single/light cream
- ¼ tsp. cayenne pepper or to taste
- thick slices stale ciabatta bread
- parsley sprigs, to garnish
Bring a large saucepan of water to the boil and blanch the lettuce leaves for 3 minutes. Drain and dry thoroughly on absorbent paper towels, then shred with a sharp knife.
Heat the oil and butter in a clean saucepan and add the lettuce, spring onions/scallions and parsley and cook together for 3-4 minutes until very soft.
Stir in the flour and cook for 1 minute, then gradually pour in the stock, stirring throughout. Bring to the boil and season to taste with salt and pepper. Reduce the heat, cover and simmer gently for 10-15 minutes until soft.
Allow the soup to cool slightly, then either sieve or puree in a blender. Alternatively, leave the soup chunky. Stir in the cream, add more seasoning to taste, if liked, then add the cayenne pepper.
Arrange the slices of ciabatta bread in a large soup dish or in individual bowls and pour the soup over the bread. Garnish with parsley sprigs and serve immediately.
If you liked our article, please like our Facebook Page.