These Italian sausage and cheese balls are great for breakfast or for appetizers! Sausage cheese balls may be frozen before or after baking. Here is the recipe:
Italian Sausage and Cheese Balls Recipe
- 3 cups biscuit/baking mix
- 1 lb uncooked bulk Italian sausage
- 2 cups shredded Italian cheese blend (8 oz.)
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese (8 oz.)
- ½ cup milk
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons finely shredded fresh basil leaves
- 1 jar (25.5 oz.) tomato basil pasta sauce
- Heat oven to 350°F/180°C/ Gas Mark 4. Spray 2 rimmed 15×10-inch baking pans with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, stir together the biscuit mix, sausage, Italian cheese blend, mozzarella cheese, milk, melted butter, Italian seasoning and 1/2 teaspoon pepper flakes, using hands or spoon.
- Shape mixture into 1-inch balls. Place 1/2 inch apart on pans.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes, rotating pans halfway through bake time, until brown. Immediately remove from pan; transfer to serving platter. Sprinkle with basil.
- Meanwhile, in 1 1/2-quart saucepan, heat pasta sauce and remaining 1/2 teaspoon pepper flakes to simmering over medium heat.
- Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer 5 minutes to combine flavors, stirring frequently. Serve warm cheese balls with sauce.
Note: Use slightly damp hands to easily separate and shape the sausage mixture into balls. Can’t find bulk Italian sausage? Use one pound of uncooked links. Just remove the casing first.
If you liked our article, please like our Facebook Page.