This Italian lime and pistachio gelato is so refreshing and delicious! The combination of lime and pistachio is unique with a special taste that you will love it! Simple and easy to prepare – 4 minutes to make plus around 3 hours to set. Here is the recipe:
- 2 large eggs
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 ¼ cups sugar
- 2 ¼ cups half-and-half cream
- ¾ cup lime juice
- 1 tablespoon lime zest
- Green food color (optional)
- Extra pistachios, to drizzle
- In a saucepan, over medium heat, combine together the egg yolks, eggs, sugar, lime juice, lime zest, and green food color (if using). Using a wooden spoon, stir continuously until thickened (around 7 minutes).
- Remove from heat, and fold in the half and half till smooth.
- Next, strain it through a fine sieve; cover and refrigerate to cool, stirring occasionally (around 1 hour).
- Place the chilled mix into an ice cream maker, then freeze according to manufacturer’s instructions until it gets “soft-serve” consistency.
- After that, transfer ice cream to a 1- or 2-quart lidded plastic dish and cover with plastic wrap and freeze (at least 3 hours or overnight before serving). Scoop and drizzle with pistachios (if desired); serve.