This Italian lemon pound cake is so easy and simple to prepare, and so refreshing and delicious! You can prepare it and have a slice of it in the morning with an ice tea, coffee, or juice – it is also a great choice to enjoy it with family or friend on a pick nick or relaxing time in the park. Here is the recipe:
For the cake:
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- A pinch of teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup of sour cream
- 1/2 cup buttermilk (or alternatively you can combine 1 tablespoon vinegar in a ½ cup of whole milk)
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon of fresh ginger, minced
- Zest of 2 lemons (around 2 tablespoons)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the lemon glaze:
- 1 ½ cup powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoon fresh lemon juice, room temperature
To make the cake:
- Preheat oven to 325°F/160°C/Gas Mark 3.
- Combine flour, baking powder, and salt and leave aside.
- In another bowl, beat sugar and butter until light and fluffy. Add in eggs, one at a time. Whisk in the sour cream, vanilla, lemon zest, lemon juice, and ginger.
- Mix 1/2 of the flour mix into the butter mix. Pour in the buttermilk and then beat in the remaining flour mix. Combine just until the flour disappears. Spread the cake mixture into a Bundt pan, which has been generously sprayed with nonstick baking spray.
- Place in the oven and bake for around 70-80 minutes or just until a tester inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean. Then, remove from the oven and let cool for 5 minutes. In the meantime, prepare the lemon glaze.
To make the lemon glaze:
- Beat the lemon juice and powdered sugar together until you get a smooth glaze mixture.
- Next, turn it over on a cake platter and drizzle the lemon glaze over the cake while still warm – so the glaze could soak into the cake. Leave the cake to cool completely.
- Slice and serve.