This Italian lemon cake is so rich and delicious – but very easy and simple to make! You will need just 15 minutes to prepare it, plus around 20 minutes to cook – so, the complete process will take you only 35 minutes. Your family or friends will definitely love it! Here is the recipe:
For the cake:
- 3 Eggs
- 1⅓ cup whole milk
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest, freshly grated
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon Juice
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- A pinch of salt
For the filling:
- 1 cup lemon curd
For the lemon vanilla cream cheese frosting:
- 8 ounce (1 package) cream cheese, softened
- ½ cup butter
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon lemon zest (plus some more for garnish)
- lemon zest (optional)
- mint leaf (optional)
- fresh berries (optional)
- Preheat oven to 325°F/160°C/ Gas Mark 3.
- In a mixing bowl, add eggs, whole milk, oil, eggs, lemon zest, and lemon juice. Beat for 2 minutes.
- In another bowl, add flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and a pinch of salt. Apply into the egg mix and fold.
- Next, spray 2 or 3 cake pans (depending on how mush layers you want to have the cake) with cooking spray. Apply mixture into baking pans and place in the oven. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or just until a toothpick comes out clean. Set aside to cool.
- To make the frosting:
- In a mixing bowl, beat together cream cheese and butter for about 5 minutes until light and fluffy. Add lemon juice, lemon zest, powdered sugar, and vanilla and whisk until well combined.
- Remove cakes from pans. Spread frosting on top of one cake layer. Place another cake layer on top and spread frosting all over. Repeat the procedure (if needed). Garnish with lemon zest, mint or some fresh berries.
- Optional: You can spread lemon curd on 1st cake layer and top with frosting.
- Put in the fridge for around 15-20 minutes to chill and set. Slice and serve.