Looking for a quick Italian-style dessert? Then this delicious Italian cream cake is the real thing for you – easy and simple! Garnish with some pecans and make it a perfect treat for your family or guests.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup butter, softened
- ½ cup shortening
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 5 eggs, separated
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups flaked coconut
- 1 cup finely chopped pecans
- 1 container (1 lb) cream cheese creamy ready-to-spread frosting
- Additional chopped pecans, if desired
- Heat oven to 350°F/ 180°C/ Gas Mark 4 (325°F/165°C/Gas Mark 3, for dark or nonstick pan). Grease 13×9-inch pan with shortening; lightly flour. In a medium bowl, mix flour, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat sugar, butter and shortening with electric mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy. Beat in vanilla. Add egg yolks, one at a time, beating until blended. Add flour mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating until blended after each addition. On low speed, beat in coconut and 1 cup pecans until blended.
- In another large bowl, beat egg whites with electric mixer on high speed just until stiff peaks form. Fold one-fourth of egg whites into cake batter; fold in remaining egg whites. Pour batter into the pan.
- Bake 45 to 48 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely in pan on cooling rack, about 1 hour 30 minutes.
- Frost cake. Garnish with additional chopped pecans.
If you liked our article, please like our Facebook Page.