Italian Bean Soup Recipe
- 2 tsps. olive oil
- 1 leek, washed and chopped
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and crushed
- 2 tsps. dried oregano
- 75 g/3 oz. / ¾ cup trimmed and chopped green beans
- 410 g/14 oz. canned cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 75 g/3 oz. / ¾ cup small pasta shapes
- 1 liter/1 ¾ pints/4 cups vegetable stock
- 8 cherry tomatoes
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tbsps. freshly shredded basil
Heat the oil in a large saucepan. Add the leek, garlic and oregano and cook gently for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Stir in the green beans and the cannellini beans. Sprinkle in the pasta and pour in the stock. Bring the stock mixture to the boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer.
Cook for 12-15 minutes until the vegetables are tender and the pasta is cooked to a/ dente. Stir occasionally.
In a heavy-based frying pan, dry-fry the tomatoes over a high heat until they soften and the skins begin to blacken.
Gently crush the tomatoes in the pan with the back of a spoon and add to the soup.
Season to taste with salt and pepper. Stir in the shredded basil and serve immediately.
If you liked our article, please like our Facebook Page.