This is my grandma’s most famous cake. She used to bake this delicious apple cake in late September and autumn afternoons, and taste these wonderful slices with a cup of tea or espresso while chatting with us and enjoying family tales. So, there is more than a pie behind this mouth-watering apple dessert that is heavenly delicious. Here is the recipe:
Servings around 8
For the apple cake:
- 4 golden apples
- 250 grams’ all-purpose flour
- 150 grams’ sugar
- 100 grams’ butter
- 125 ml milk
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- Finely grated zest of 1 lemon
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- A pinch of salt
For the top:
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 200° C/400°F/Gas Mark 6. Butter a round baking tin and sprinkle with flour. Peel the apples. Set aside.
- Now, using an electric mixer, combine sugar with butter and beat to make a creamy mixture.
- Apply the eggs, milk, flour, lemon zest, baking powder, a pinch of salt and vanilla extract. You should get a creamy dough (if is thick add some more milk).
- Slice 3 ½ of the apples and place JUST the other half in small chunks into the pastry.
- Transfer the mixture into a round baking tin. On the top of it, apply the sliced apples like in a radial and sprinkle brown sugar and cinnamon.
- Place in the oven and bake for around 40 to 45 minutes. Allow cool before slicing.