This semifreddo will bring you to a fantastic level! Italian desserts are heavenly! I made this dessert for the weekend, and guess what – the whole dessert got finished in the same day…
I made the topping – candied almonds – a day earlier. You can use candied almonds in ice cream or in any other dessert. The Italian word “semifreddo” literally means “semi-frozen”.
As an Italian I adore preparing dessert – though, I don’t eat much sweet food – but my husband is very fond of Italian desserts – and this Italian Amaretto Semifreddo recipe is one of his favorite Italian desserts.
For candied almonds:
- ½ cup sliced almonds
- ¼ cup of sugar
- ¼ cup amaretto
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup of sugar
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- 2 cups of whipping cream
To make candied Almonds:
- Preheat oven to 325°F/165°C/Gas Mark 3. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Soak almonds with amaretto in a small bowl. Let it rest for 15 minutes.
- Drain the nuts and reserve semifreddo. Place the nuts in a bowl and sprinkle sugar over them.
- Next, spread them into the baking sheet in a single layer and put into the oven and toast it.
- Gently stir the nuts halfway for 12-15 minutes. When sugar begins to crystallize around the edge of the nuts, take off from the oven.
To make Semifreddo:
- Lightly grease a 4½ X 8 ½ inch loaf pan and line it with a plastic wrap.
- Then, fill a sauce pan with one-third full of water and bring it to a simmer over medium heat.
- Whisk the egg yolks, whole egg, and sugar in a heatproof mixing bowl. Set it over the simmering water, making sure that the bowl does not touch the water. Whisk constantly until the mixture is hot to touch and sugar is dissolved.
- Attach the bowl to the mixture and whip on medium-high speed until the eggs have gained volume and cool to touch.
- Add reserved amaretto and almond extract and whip well.
- Next, take another bowl, whip heavy cream until soft peaks form. Take one-third of whipping cream and fold into egg mixture. Slowly add rest of whipping cream and fold until just combined and not many white streaks remain.
- Place the mixture into the loaf pan and smoothen its top. Cover with plastic wrap, freeze it for at least 4-5 hours or preferably overnight.
- Remove semifreddo from the freezer.
- Put it onto a serving plate and unwrap it. Put sugared almonds on top and sides.
- Cover it and freeze until ready to serve.
Note: This Italian Amaretto Semifreddo recipe uses almond alcohol. You can make its non-alcoholic version by adding 1¾ tsp. of vanilla extract instead of amaretto.