Gnocchetti with Broccoli & Bacon Sauce
- 450 g/1 lb broccoli florets
- 4 tbsps. olive oil
- 50 g/2 oz. / ½ cup finely chopped smoked bacon or pancetta
- 1 small onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and sliced
- 200 ml/7 fl oz. / ¾ cup milk
- 450 g/1 lb gnocchetti (little elongated ribbed shells)
- 50 g/2 oz. / ½ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese, plus extra to serve
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
Bring a large pan of salted water to the boil. Add the broccoli florets and cook for about 8-10 minutes until very soft. Drain thoroughly, allow to cool slightly, then chop finely and reserve.
Heat the olive oil in a heavy-based pan, add the pancetta or bacon and cook over a medium heat for 5 minutes or until golden and crisp. Add the onion and cook for a further 5 minutes or until soft and lightly golden. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute.
Transfer the chopped broccoli to the bacon or pancetta mixture and pour in the milk. Bring slowly to the boil and simmer rapidly for about 15 minutes until reduced to a creamy texture.
Meanwhile, bring a large pan of lightly salted water to a rolling boil. Add the pasta and cook according to the packet instructions or until al dente.
Drain the pasta thoroughly, reserving a little of the cooking water. Add the pasta and the Parmesan cheese to the broccoli mixture. Toss, adding enough of the reserved cooking water to make a creamy sauce. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve immediately with extra Parmesan cheese.
If you liked our article, please like our Facebook Page.