Fusilli with Spicy Tomato & Chorizo Sauce with Roasted Peppers
Photo Credit: forbiddenriceblog.com
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and quartered
- 1 yellow pepper, deseeded and quartered
- 4 tbsps. olive oil
- 175 g/6 oz. / ¾ cup roughly chopped chorizo (outer skin removed) 2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
- large pinch chilli flakes
- 700 g/1 ½ lb/3 cups skinned and roughly chopped ripe tomatoes salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 450 g/1 lb fusilli
- basil leaves, to garnish
- freshly grated Parmesan cheese, to serve
Preheat the grill/broiler to high. Brush the pepper quarters with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil, then cook under the preheated grill, turning once for 8-10 minutes until the skins have blackened and the flesh is tender. Place the peppers in a plastic bag until cool enough to handle. When cooled, peel the peppers, slice very thinly and reserve.
Heat the remaining oil in a frying pan and add the chorizo. Cook over a medium heat for 3-4 minutes until starting to brown. Add the garlic and chilli flakes and cook for a further 2-3 minutes.
Add the tomatoes, season lightly with salt and pepper, then cook gently for about 5 minutes until the tomatoes have broken down.
Lower the heat and cook for a further 10-15 minutes until the sauce has thickened. Add the peppers and heat gently for 1-2 minutes. Adjust the seasoning to taste.
Meanwhile, bring a large pan of lightly salted water to a rolling boil. Add the fusilli and cook according to the packet instructions or until al dente.
Drain thoroughly and transfer to a warmed serving dish. Pour over the sauce, sprinkle with basil and serve with Parmesan.