This Italian spinach pie is so delicious and easy to make! Just follow the instructions and you will make the best spinach pie and an ideal Sunday breakfast – well, at least, Sunday is the pie day in our house. Plus, your children will eat healthy and tasty meal – spinach is having so many health benefits!
- 250 grams/ 9 oz. plain flour, plus extra for dusting
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, plus extra for greasing
- 5 kg/ 3 1b. 5 oz. leaf spinach
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 5 eggs
- 100 grams/ 3 ½ oz. grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 egg yolk
- Salt and pepper
- Sift the flour onto a work surface and make a well in the center. Put 2 tablespoons of olive oil, a pinch of salt, and 2-4 tablespoons of water into the well and knead everything into a smooth, supple dough.
- Form the dough into a ball, cover it with clingfilm and leave to chill for 30 minutes in the refrigerator.
- Bring a large saucepan of lightly salted water to boil. Thoroughly wash the spinach, removing any wilted leaves and coarse stems. Plunge it into the boiling water and blanch it briefly. Pour off the hot water and refresh the spinach in cold water. Drain, then finely chop the spinach.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/ 400°F/ Gas Mark 6 and grease a 25-cm/10-inch round springform cake tin.
- Heat the remaining oil in a saucepan, add the onion and garlic and sauté briefly. Add the spinach, season with salt and pepper and sauté a few minutes longer, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and leave to cool. Whisk the eggs, stir in the cheese, and combine with the spinach. Roll out the pastry on a floured work surface. Cut out two rounds of pastry the size of the base of the springform tin. Lay one round on the base of the tin and use scraps of pastry to form a border up the side. Spread the spinach mixture over the base, smoothing the surface, and lay the second pastry round on top.
- Prick several holes in the top with a fork. Fold over the sides of the pastry and press together firmly. Decorate with the remaining pastry, if desired, and brush the surface with the egg yolk. Bake in the preheated oven for about 1 hour. Serve hot or cold.
If you liked our article, please like our Facebook Page.