Who doesn’t like Oreos?! Well…I don’t. But, everybody else seems to love it! However, all I can say that these donuts are so delicious – I usually make this recipe with Pan di Stelle cookies (Italian cocoa cookies), rather than Oreos, but my family claims that they are better with Oreos. So, the choice is yours! Here is my easy Oreo donuts recipe:
For the donuts:
- 1 large egg
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted and slightly cooled
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (or 1/2 teaspoon rum extract)
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 7 Oreos, finely crushed
For the icing:
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 4 tablespoons milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
To make the donuts:
- Preheat oven to 350°F/ 180°C/ Gas Mark 4; grease 2 standard size donut pans.
- Whisk butter, buttermilk, egg, and vanilla extract in a medium bowl. Put all dry ingredients apart from the Oreos, and blend until well combined. Gently fold in 1/2 the crushed Oreo cookies(reserve the rest).
- Place the batter in a zip-top bag and snip an opening in the corner. Then, fill the wells of the donut pans about halfway. Put in the oven and bake for about 10 minutes or until a toothpick tests clean; put the donuts on a wire rack in order to cool completely.
To make the icing:
- Beat the confectioners’ sugar, shortening, butter, and vanilla until smooth and well combined. Add milk, 1 tablespoon at a time, till icing is still thick but pourable.
- Dip the donuts into icing and put on a wire rack set over a baking sheet (to catch drips). To finish, sprinkle with the reserved Oreo crumbs. Let them set for about 15 minutes and serve.
If you liked our article, please like our Facebook Page.