This easy Italian chocolate cake is a recipe from my nonna Angela. She used to make this cake every Easter – so the taste of this delicious cake relaxes me … calms me and brings me good memories from my childhood. Anyway, this cake is ideal for birthdays and holidays. It is a great recipe for an easy, foolproof chocolate cake. It’s fudgy, moist and will keep well for about 4 to 5 days.
- 3 cups white sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoons baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 medium eggs
- 1 ½ cup milk
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 2 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cup boiling water
- Preheat oven to 350°F/ 180°C/ Gas Mark 4. Grease and flour two 9-inch round pans.
- In a large bowl, stir together the sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Add the eggs, milk, oil and vanilla, mix for 2 minutes on medium speed of mixer.
- Stir in the boiling water last. The batter will be thin. Pour evenly into the prepared pans.
- Bake around 30-35 minutes in the preheated oven, until the cake tests done with a toothpick.
- Cool in the pans for 15 minutes, then remove to a wire rack to cool completely before serving.
If you liked our article, please like our Facebook Page.