Everybody loves easy caramel budino with salted caramel sauce! Simple and beautiful! Just like the best things in life – this is totally a happy dessert! You can serve it in a cup and enjoy it after lunch or serve it in a fancy glass and make it a perfect dessert for guests and parties. The choice is yours! Here is the recipe:
For the cookie crust:
- 1 cup (about 21 cookies) finely ground chocolate cookie crumbs (like Pan di Stelle cocoa cookies or Oreos)
- 2 ½ tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- A pinch of kosher salt
For the budino:
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 3 cups whole milk, divided
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 5 large egg yolks
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons rum
For the salted caramel sauce:
- 3/4 cup + 2 tablespoons heavy cream (divided)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 vanilla bean, split lengthwise (or 1 teaspoon vanilla extract)
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- ½ stick (4 tablespoons) chilled unsalted butter, cut into half cubes
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- whipped cream
To make the cookie crust:
- Combine cookie crumbs, salt, and butter in a medium bowl. Add 2 tablespoons in a bowl; cover and leave aside to use for garnish.
- Place 2 tablespoons cookie mixture onto the bottom of 8 ramekins or mason jars (or glasses).
To make the budino:
- Beat the cornstarch and 1/2 cup milk in a bowl; set aside. Next, heat remaining 2 1/2 cups milk in a saucepan just to a simmer and leave aside.
To make the caramel:
- Stir ¾ cup water and sugar in a pan over medium heat until sugar dissolves. Then, increase the heat and cook without stirring until a thermometer registers 210° to 220°.
- Line a sieve with a double layer of cheesecloth. Set over a large pitcher. Beat egg yolks in a large bowl. Slowly whisk in hot milk and then the cornstarch mix.
- Gradually whisk in caramel and return mixture to the Beat constantly over medium heat until blend thickens, around 3 minutes (the thermometer should register 175°). Remove from heat; add salt, rum, and butter. Apply over a prepared sieve.
- Add 1/2 cup budino over crust in every jar/cup. Cover; chill until set, around 5 hours (or ideally overnight).
To make the salted caramel sauce:
- Add cream in a small pitcher and scrape in vanilla bean seeds; add bean. Set aside. (if you are using vanilla extract combine it with the cream and then place in the small pitcher).
- In a saucepan over medium heat – stir corn syrup, sugar, and two tablespoons water – until sugar dissolves. Then, increase heat to medium-high; boil. occasionally swirling the pan and brushing down sides with a wet pastry brush, until deep amber color forms, around five minutes.
- Remove from heat; slowly add vanilla cream/ Whisk over medium heat until thick and smooth, around 2 minutes. Remove from heat; add salt and butter. Strain into a heatproof bowl. Leave cool slightly.
- Spoon two tablespoons caramel sauce over each budino Top with some whipped cream. Serve.
If you liked our article, please like our Facebook Page.