These banana cream pie cupcakes are so rich, creamy and delicious! They are ideal for a cup of coffee or ice tea on a nice, spring day in the garden. So easy to prepare and yummy! Here is the recipe:
Servings 12 to 14
For the banana cupcakes:
- 10 tablespoons (140 grams) butter, softened
- 1 cup (207 grams) sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg white
- 1 large egg
- 1 2/3 cups (217 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) mashed ripe bananas
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) milk
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) water
For the cream filling:
- 1/4 cup (52 grams) sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 3/4 cup (180 ml) milk
- 1 egg yolk, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon (14 grams) butter
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons confectioners’ sugar
For the banana frosting:
- 1/2 cup (112 grams) butter
- 1/2 cup (95 grams) shortening
- 4 ½ cups (518 grams) confectioners’ sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup banana chip crumbs
- 5-6 tablespoons (75 to 90 ml) heavy cream or milk
To make the cupcakes:
- Preheat oven to 350F/180C/Gas Mark 4, and make a cupcake pan with cupcake liners.
- Whisk sugar and butter until light and fluffy (around 2-3 minutes).
- Add vanilla and mix until incorporated.
- Put egg and egg white in two batches, whipping until combined after each.
- In another bowl, mix dry ingredients then combine mashed bananas, water, and milk.
- Add ½ of the dry ingredients to the mixture and combine.
- Put the milk and banana mix and combine until well incorporated.
- Place the remaining dry ingredients and combine until well incorporated.
- Fill cupcake liners around ¾. Bake for 20 minutes (or until a tester inserted comes out with some crumbs).
- Remove and let cool.
To make the filling:
- In a large saucepan, add milk, cornstarch, and sugar and mix until smooth.
- Cook over medium-high heat, stirring continuously until the mix starts to thicken and bubble.
- Decrease heat to medium-low and simmer for around 2 minutes then remove. Apply a little bit of milk mix to the egg yolk and beat together, then put egg mix to milk mix.
- Apply pan back on the heat and bring to a boil; stirring continuously – let boil for around 2 minutes.
- Remove and add vanilla and butter. Stir until smooth; set aside to cool at room temperature.
- When cooled, whisk the heavy cream and sugar until stiff peaks form. Gradually add the whipped cream inside the cream filling.
To make the frosting:
- Whisk shortening and butter together until smooth. Apply ½ of the powdered sugar and combine until smooth.
- Apply the vanilla extract, 5 tablespoons heavy cream, and banana chip crumbs and mix until smooth.
- Place the remaining sugar and combine until smooth.
- Apply the remaining heavy cream, if necessary and combine until smooth.
To assemble the cupcakes:
- Using a knife or a cupcake corer, cut the core out of the cupcakes. Spoon off the cream filling and fill the holes with it.
- Pipe frosting onto the cupcakes. To decorate, top with a banana chip and refrigerate.
- Cupcakes are best for 2 to 3 days.