My nonna Angela used to say: the key to an easy life is flexibility – be the Italian olive tree that bends in the wind and not the English oak that snaps. So, I always try to have prepared dessert in the freezer that will be an ideal treat for unexpected guests or each time when we have a good day and we want to finish it with a nice dessert like this creamy strawberry pie. You can make it anytime (because baking is not included) and you can keep it the freezer for about a month – of course if you can resist it! Here is the recipe:
For the cracker crust:
- 1 ½ cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- ⅓ cup butter, melted
For the strawberry pie filling:
- 3 oz. (1 box) strawberry jello
- ½ cup cold water
- ⅔ cup boiling water
- ½ cup ice cubes
- 10 grams (1 package) gelatin powder (or 3 gelatin leaves)
- 8 oz. (1 container) whipped topping (I used Cool Whip)
- 4 cups fresh strawberries, sliced (you can also use the same amount of frozen strawberries, defrosted)
- Blend the graham crackers in a blender. Mix in sugar, melted butter, and vanilla extract until crust forms.
- Press the crust into a 9-inch dish and put it in the fridge for 15 minutes to firm.
- Meanwhile, slice the strawberries. Then, in a bowl, put gelatin and boiling water. Stir to dissolve. Next, add ½ cup ice cubes and ½ cup cold water, stir until gelatin is slightly thickened.
- Tip: Leave the gelatin mixture to sit for 3 minutes to thicken a little bit before you place the whipped topping, or else it won’t set up.
- Then, add whipped topping and strawberry jello to gelatin mixture and beat together until fluffy and light. Stir in sliced strawberries. Place in the fridge for 20 minutes or till mixture has thickened.
- Finally, apply strawberry pie filling to cracker crust and refrigerate for about 6 hours (or preferably overnight) to the firm. Before serving, top with some cool whip and a strawberry.