Creamy chocolate cupcakes topped with nice chocolate frosting get some Italian loving’ thanks to a layer of ricotta cheese filling. Add some black or white chocolate shavings for an elegant touch.
For the cake layer:
- 1 box chocolate fudge cake mix
- 1 ¼ cups water
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
For the ricotta layer:
- 2 containers (15 oz. each) whole-milk ricotta cheese
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 4 eggs
For the frosting:
- 1 box (6-serving size) chocolate instant pudding and pie filling mix
- 1 cup milk
- 1 ½ cups whipped cream or frozen whipped topping, thawed
- Heat oven to 350°F/ 180°C/ Gas Mark 4. Place paper baking cup in each of 24 regular-size muffin cups.
- In a large bowl, beat Cake Layer ingredients with electric mixer on low speed 30 seconds. Increase speed to medium; beat 2 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally.
- In separate large bowl, mix Ricotta Layer ingredients until combined.
- Fill each muffin cup about one-third full with cake batter (you may not use all the batter). Divide ricotta mixture evenly among cups.
- Bake 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes; remove from muffin cups to cooling rack. Cool completely, about 30 minutes.
- When cupcakes are completely cooled, make the frosting. In a large bowl, beat pudding mix and milk with whisk until combined and set. Fold in whipped cream. Pipe frosting on top of cupcakes.
- Garnish cupcakes with white chocolate shavings or chocolate chips.
- Cupcakes taste even better the next day if covered and chilled overnight.
- Any leftover cake batter can be baked into regular cupcakes then frozen for a later use.
If you liked our article, please like our Facebook Page.