This Italian cream cake is an ideal dessert for a dinner party, birthday, anniversary, or shower party. This is one of the most served desserts in various restaurants across Italy. It’s moist and full of flavor with layers of chopped nuts and cream cheese frosting. Mmmm… Perfetto!
Coconut Cream Cake – Italian Recipe
- 6 tablespoons + 1 stick unsalted butter, soft
- 2 tablespoons olive oil ( alternatively you can use canola or grape seed oil)
- 2 cups fine granulated sugar
- 5 large egg yolks
- 2 1/3 cups of all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup buttermilk, room temperature
- 5 ounces(1 1/3 cups) sweetened coconut
- 1 cup pecan pieces
- 5 large egg whites, free of egg yolk traces
- Cream cheese frosting – (here is the recipe: LINK)
- Coconut and pecans for decoration, as desired
- Preheat oven to 177 °C/ 350°F / Gas Mark 4.
- Butter and flour three 8 or 9-inch pans or use baking spray. Set aside.
- Cream butter and oil until light and fluffy. Add sugar and mix further. Add egg yolks one at a time waiting for the previously added yolk to be fully incorporated. Scrape bowl often. Whip until mixture is fluffy and light. Add vanilla.
- Sift together flour and baking soda. On low speed, add dry ingredients alternately with buttermilk. Once combined add coconut and pecan pieces.
- In a separate bowl whip egg whites until stiff. Gently fold egg whites into above batter.
- Evenly divide the batter into prepared pans. Put into oven and bake till center of cake bounces back when lightly pressed with a toothpick comes out clean. Around 28-35 minutes. Let sit in the pan for about 15 minutes before removing.
- Turn cakes out pans. Let cool. Next, freeze well wrapped or frost layers.
- Prepare cream cheese frosting. Frost cool cake. Decorate with coconut and pecans if desired.
If you liked our article, please like our Facebook Page.