Chocolate Tartufo is one of the simplest and most wonderful Italian desserts you could make. It’s typically made from gelato but standard ice cream works just fine. Chocolate Tartufo is very delicious and easy recipe! The best part of this recipe is that you can use any flavor ice cream you want.
Tartufo means truffle in Italian and is simply gelato dipped in chocolate and covered with cocoa powder, crushed cookies, or nuts, and topped with a cherry, served with many sauces and fruits.
It’s delicious and sweet and should be enjoyed by the whole family. There are numerous variations of this recipe but this one seems to be my families favorite. This one is covered in caramel sauce.
- 1 and ½ pints of chocolate gelato or ice cream
- 1 dozen Oreo cookies (or other similar cookies by your choice), crushed
- 1 and ½ cups of semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon of vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon caramel sauce for decoration (optional)
- 10 oz. of frozen raspberries or strawberries, thawed
- Scoop out 6 balls of gelato/ice cream with an ice cream scoop.
- Roll the gelato/ice cream into the crushed cookies.
- Place the gelato/ice cream on wax paper lined cookie sheet and freeze until firm.
- Heat the chocolate chips and oil in a small saucepan until chocolate is melted.
- Place the gelato/ice cream on a wire rack.
- Pour around 3 tablespoons of chocolate over each ice cream ball.
- Freeze for 1 hour. Decorate with a caramel sauce, chopped nuts, or cocoa powder.
- Plate the fruit on a serving plate and top with the Tartufo.
If you liked our article, please like our Facebook Page.