This chocolate crust is tender and topped with a super simple caramel filling made from just sugar and water. The caramel sets up in the ideal consistency – it is firm, yet still soft and just a bit gooey when you dig into it with a fork. Add chocolate ganache to the equation and you have a heart-stopping dessert that will leave folks oohing and aahing over an empty plate.
If you’re looking for an incredibly impressive dessert that has a wonderful balance of sweet and salty, and varying textures, this is your recipe. Plus, each component can be completed easily and relatively quickly, which makes this a perfect recipe for assembling ahead of time. Here is the recipe for chocolate salted caramel tart:
For the chocolate dough:
- ½cup (1 stick) salted butter, at room temperature
- ½cup + 1 tablespoon confectioners’ sugar
- ¼cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1 large egg yolk
- ¾teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ¼cups all-purpose flour
For the caramel filling:
- 2cups sugar
- ½cup water
- ¼cup corn syrup
- ½cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
- ½cup heavy cream
- 2tablespoons creme fraiche (you can find it at specialty food markets)
- A pinch of salt
For the chocolate glaze:
- 3 ½ounces extra-bittersweet chocolate (70- 85%), chopped
- ½cup whipping cream
- Fleur de sel
To make the chocolate dough:
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, combine the butter, confectioners’ sugar and cocoa. Beat until smooth. Add egg yolk and vanilla, and beat until blended.
- Sift flour into the dough Beat on low speed until combined. Press the dough into the bottom and up the sides of a 10-inch tart pan. (You can use a 9-inch pan, but the crust will be thicker and the caramel may take longer to set in step 4.)
- Preheat oven to 350 F/ 177 C/ Gas Mark 4. Line tart with foil, and fill with dried beans, rice or pie weights. Bake for 15 minutes. Remove foil and weights, and bake until pastry is dry and set, another 10 to 15 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
To make the caramel filling:
- In a large saucepan, bring sugar, water, and corn syrup to a boil. Stir or swirl the pan occasionally, until mixture is a medium amber color, about 12 minutes. Remove from the heat. Caramel will continue to cook and darken off of the heat. Carefully but quickly whisk in the butter, cream, creme fraiche and salt until smooth (mixture will bubble up). Pour hot caramel into a tart, and allow to cool and set, at least 1 hour.
To make the chocolate glaze:
- Place chocolate in a bowl. In a small saucepan, bring cream to a boil. Pour hot cream over chocolate and whisk until chocolate has melted and the mixture is smooth. Pour glaze over tart, tilting tart for even coverage. Refrigerate until tart is set, at least one hour, then sprinkle with a few granules of fleur de sel. Keep refrigerated until serving.
If you liked our article, please like our Facebook Page.