As an Italian, I can say that this is definably my favorite American dessert. I love mousse and peanut butter – so this combination is totally my jam! You can make this chocolate peanut butter mousse bars to surprise your family or friends for the weekend. Simple and delicious – the perfect match!
- 25 chocolate sandwich cookies (like Oreos)
- 5 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2 cup hot fudge ice cream topping
- 8 oz. (1 package) cream cheese at room temperature
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 2/3 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/2 cup milk
- 8 oz. (1 container), frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup peanut butter chips
- Preheat oven to 350F/ 177C/ Gas Mark 4. Lightly spray a 9×9″ pan with non-stick baking spray. Set aside.
- In a food processor, crush the chocolate cookies. Add the melted butter, and pulse a few more times in the processor to combine. Pour the crumb mixture into the 9×9 pan, and press firmly and evenly into the bottom of the pan. Bake the crust for 6-8 minutes, just to get the crust to set. Remove from oven and let cool.
- To the cool crust, pour the hot fudge sauce and spread evenly.
- Using a hand or stand mixer, begin mixing the mousse. To a mixing bowl, add the cream cheese and powdered sugar. Mix until creamy.
- Add the peanut butter and mix until completely combined. The mixture will be thick.
- Slowly add in the milk, and mix until smooth, making sure to scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- Lastly, add in the thawed whipped topping, a few scoops at a time until combined. The mixture will be light and creamy.
- Pour onto the top of the hot fudge covered crust.
- Top with the chocolate and peanut butter chips. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least two hours. Slice into 16 square bars.
Note: You can also line the pan with aluminum foil, draping enough foil over the edges of the pan. This makes it easy to lift the entire dessert right out of the pan before cutting. Make sure that when you slice the bars, the foil stays on your cutting surface, and doesn’t transfer along with the bar.
If you liked our article, please like our Facebook Page.