This is an ideal recipe for you if you are a caramel lover! I present you the ultimate: chocolate cupcakes topped with delicious caramel buttercream and a sprinkle of sea salt. So, here is the recipe:
For the cupcakes:
- 2/3 cup unsweetened baking cocoa
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 2/3 cup butter, softened
- 1 1/3cups granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 ½ tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 cup buttermilk
For the frosting:
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 ½ cups butter, softened
- ½ cup salted caramel sauce
- 2 tbsp. milk
- vanilla extract
For the garnish:
- 2 tbsp. salted caramel sauce, slightly warmed
- 1/2 tsp. coarse sea salt
- Heat oven to 350°F/177°C/ Gas Mark 4. Place paper baking cup in each of 24 regular-size muffin cups.
- In a medium bowl, mix cocoa, flour, baking powder, salt, and baking soda; set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat the granulated sugar and the softened butter with electric mixer on medium speed, scraping bowl occasionally, about 1 minute or until fluffy.
- Beat in eggs, one at a time, until smooth. Stir in the vanilla extract. Gradually beat flour mixture into sugar mixture alternately with buttermilk on low speed, beating after each addition, just until smooth. Scrape side of bowl occasionally.
- Spoon batter evenly into muffin cups, filling each about two-thirds full. Bake 18 to 22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes. Remove cupcakes from pan to cooling rack. Cool completely, about 30 minutes.
- In a large bowl, beat Frosting ingredients with electric mixer on medium speed until smooth and spreadable. Place frosting in decorating bag fitted with a large star tip.
- Pipe frosting in a decorative swirl on top of each cupcake. Drizzle tops with remaining 2 tablespoons caramel sauce; sprinkle with sea salt.
If you liked our article, please like our Facebook Page.